so now i am sitting at the jodhpur train station. i forgot to mention in my last post that in goa we also went to carnival. Of note, it is apparently okay for the men to dress in drag that day--and I'm talking about all out. While I think it is wonderful to see women in sari's and langa's and all other traditional wear, it is very disturbing to see men in sari's, high heals, cheerleader outfits (don't worry, i have photos). I loved the carnival, the whole town was out, there weren't peddlers, everyone was just celebrating loving Goa. Everyone was really nice, it was totally safe, and just warm and fuzzy. I really liked that alot of the floats were about protecting goa: like "don't level off our beautiful hills to make cities" and the float that had a GIANT ribbiting frog that said, "save the frogs, they kill mosquitos" and the front of the float had a fake dead dengue fever patient on it with a fake mosquito on top of him that was the size of a human. Another float that rocked was one that said "we are one" and had the christian, muslim, and hindu symbols on it and alot of dancing people of all different faiths. Goa was very clean, progressive, and yet still deeply cultural. I loved it. Also, carla and I got to hang out with a baby elephant in the water (during our visit to the spice plantation). It was pretty cool. Pictures to come.
So last night, after yet more delayed flights, we stayed in a palace--it is called the Balsamand Lake Palace, in case you want to look it up. IT WAS AMAZING. The regal suite was huge, there were two huge bathrooms with tons of hot water, a bathtub, and waterfall showerhead. There were huge arches or carved sandstone and stained glass. The entire castle was made out of marble and sandstone--all hand carved. We also ate at their fancy restaurant for dinner and breakfast. We had cocktails on the terrace last night, and this morning we watched a playful group of monkeys wreak havoc! It was great. We then walked around the gardens, I stared at the horses, and people kept giving us flowers. I also saw an all marble swimming pool. We had great conversations with two older couples that have travelled the world and are now writing--one couple is making a coffee table book, and the other is writing their own respective life stories. Too cool! I can only hope that's what I get to do when I'm old. Travel and write (and maybe take some pictures). Well, they tipped us off, that we have to see the fort, so after leaving our bags at the palace and trading in our last train ticket for a plane ticket (after the palace, we decided one overnight train--tonight's train to jaisalmer--would be enough--I know, I'm a bit spoiled now)--we went to the fort. It was probably, the largest structure I have ever seen, and there were entire rooms made out of gold and marble and ivory. Also, I think carla and I have gotten a bit too good at haggling--apparently, we are getting cheaper rickshaw rides than some of the indian people and lonely planet's map of this town is awful! Also, here in north india, I am getting to use my hindi (while my cousins aren't around to laugh at my accent and mispronounced words). I think people really appreciate it (except for those that don't expect me to speak hindi, and then realize I do when they were talking about carla and I like we weren't there...) Anyways, its pretty nice to understand whats going on. Sometimes when I speak though, Spanish just flows out. I think I really confused a few shop owners when I was saying "Si, como no." So it goes.
Carla and I also did some fun shopping!!! I love the things that I have gotten for me and a few others, but I might be eating cream of wheat for a few weeks when I get back to stay on budget. (Don't worry mom and dad, I'm not doing toooooo much damage.) I guess I'm just worried that I will have to put life on hold for the next six years during residency and fellowship--ie travelling life. So all the stuff I saw in India last time and didn't buy, I'm working haggling skills to pick up some of it.
Anyway, we are going to take an overnight train in a few hours to jaisalmer for our camel safari. I saw a few camels here in Jodhpur, and I never realized that they are HUGE!!! They are literally about twice the height of a normal horseI really hope I don't fall off one.
Also, Ravi, this one is for you: remember that book about Grandma Tildy "But No Elephant." Carla has been shopping for a bedspread, and her only really specific request is that there are no elephants on it (popular item for bedspreads here in india). Everytime she wags her finger no at an elephant, I think of that book and you!
Missing all of you very, very much. This time next week, I'll already be heading home!
Thursday, February 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
entire rooms of gold?? how decadent. cant believe yall will be back soon!
Post a Comment